Sunday, June 22, 2014

Book Publishing Secrets with Anita Banks, Author of 'Tanner Builds a Block Tower'

AnitaBanks harbored her secret of writing since she was in junior high school where the desire took seed in a creative writing class. She still journaling, reading, running and traveling, but nothing compares to playing with her grandchildren.

She debuts the literary world with Tanner Builds a Block Tower, a charming children's picture book published by Wee Creek Press. 

Thank you for your time in answering our questions about getting published.  Let’s begin by having you explain to us why you decided to become an author and pen this book?
Anita:   Probably like so many others, I fell in love with writing when I was in junior high school, in a creative writing class. I still have some of those stories tucked away. But life took over and I didn't pursue it other than journaling, until a few years ago. I took some writing classes and made a decision to go after the dream.
Is this your first book?
Anita: Yes, this is my first published book, and I am just so happy about that.
With this particular book, how did you publish – traditional, small press, Indie, etc. – and why did you choose this method?
Anita:  Savvy Authors was having a pitch contest, so I entered my pitch to Wee Creek Press editor, Melanie Billings. She read the pitch, then asked to see the manuscript and then she made the offer to publish it. They are a small traditional press. 
Can you tell us a little about your publishing journey?  The pros and cons?
Anita:  Pitching opportunities bypasses the slush piles and gets your work in front of an agent or editor. So I still look for those contests. The publishing side takes a long time, so be patient. I certainly will continue to try to get additional work published. I am so new at this and still learning.
What lessons do you feel you learned about your particular publishing journey and about the publishing industry as a whole?
Anita:  I have entered some pitch contests and have gotten feedback that was helpful. I'm still submitting the old fashioned way, too. I am a newbie, so I'm still learning. 
Would you recommend this method of publishing to other authors?
Anita: Absolutely.
What’s the best advice you can give to aspiring authors?
Anita:  Write, Read and Learn. Don't stop with any of those. Enjoy the journey.



1 comment: