Friday, May 2, 2014

Book Publishing Secrets with Lynn Steward, author of 'A very Good Life'

Lynn Steward is a successful business woman who spent many years in New York City’s fashion industry in marketing and merchandising, including the development of the first women’s department at a famous men’s clothing store. Through extensive research, and an intimate knowledge of the period, Steward created the characters and stories for a series of five authentic and heartwarming novels about New York in the seventies. A Very Good Life is the first in the series featuring Dana McGarry.  
Find out more about A Very Good Life on Amazon.
Thank you for your time in answering our questions about getting published.  Let’s begin by having you explain to us why you decided to become an author and pen this book?
Author:
I always enjoyed business-related writing and thought a non-fiction self-help book, with life-lessons I learned along the way, would be a fun project.  But, as often happens when you put yourself out there, I discovered another path and took it: I developed a TV pilot about New York in the seventies because, as they say “Write what you know” and I know New York. I’m a native of Long Island, and between attending school and working, I spent twenty-two years in Manhattan. I was so overwhelmed with ideas, the TV series expanded to five seasons! Appropriately placed in the New York City of 1975, which was International Women’s Year, the plots in the series intermingle fashion legends, business icons, real events, and untold stories, providing a behind-the-scenes look at inspirational women in the worlds of art, fashion, and business.
After meeting with professionals in the entertainment industry, I realized that the main character needed more drama and the plots had to be developed, and I felt the best way to do that was to convert the pilot into a novel.  A Very Good Life is the first in a five-book series inspired by the TV show and featuring Dana McGarry. 
Is this your first book?
Author : Yes
With this particular book, how did you publish – traditional, small press, Indie, etc. – and why did you choose this method?
Author:  Self-published with CreateSpace. I spent three years researching, developing and writing, so I was ready to publish. I knew it could take years to find an agent, and more time to be picked-up by a traditional publisher.
Can you tell us a little about your publishing journey?  The pros and cons?
Author: There were no cons. I did extensive research, and found bloggers tremendously helpful. I also hired a good team: a graphic designer, a formatting company, two editors, a proofreader, and a lawyer to vet the manuscript. The Amazon team was great and responsive, and the whole process went smoothly.
What lessons do you feel you learned about your particular publishing journey and about the publishing industry as a whole?
Author: I am grateful for the opportunity to self-publish, and I appreciate the opportunity to be found by a traditional publisher if I am successful on-line. In the meantime, I am happy to be published, selling books, and ready to start Book Two of a five book series.
Would you recommend this method of publishing to other authors?
Author: Yes. Do your homework; all the information you need is on-line. It is a relatively easy process with the right support team.
What’s the best advice you can give to aspiring authors?
Author: Write about what you know and enjoy, and keep writing. Don’t worry about elements of style and grammar, that’s why we have editors. The more they edit, the better you’ll get.





No comments:

Post a Comment